Friday, July 5, 2013

Jalapeño Popper Mac and Cheese-lightened up!

We love jalapeños! Matt grew some in his garden (another perk of owning a home-no more growing plants on the porch!) so I wanted to make something special. I found this recipe over at A Cook's Quest (acooksquest.blogspot.com) and I like how it was lightened up. I adapted with things I had on hand already. It was so delicious and creamy, and was better the next day!

I also can never find pepper jack cheese already sliced. Only in blocks. Grrrrr.  But it was worth the time to grate :) 


To make:

8 ounces ridged pasta (I used corkscrew)
(I never put away half used boxes of pasta. I cooked the whole 16 oz box and saved the rest for an easy meal)

1 clove minced garlic

3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and sliced 

2 tablespoons flour

1 cup vegetable broth (or stock, I had broth on hand)

4 cups reduced far sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

4 cups reduced fat pepper jack cheese, shredded 

6 oz 1/3 far cream cheese (I have cooked with fat free and it doesn't melt well, and 1/3 really isn't that bad in calories/fat) cut into cubes (I let it get soft before cooking)

1/4 cup bread crumbs (I used panko)

Optional: bacon, onion

Ingredients: I forgot to show the garlic. Sorry :(


Matt grew these jalapeños. Gorgeous!



Boil water and cook pasta al dente. 


While pasta is cooking, brown bacon (if using-we didn't). Remove from pan and leave grease in the pot. Add the onion (we didn't use this) and garlic in olive oil then cook the jalapeños until soft. Stir in flour, cook for 1 minute then stir in the broth (or stock) for about 5 minutes or util sauce begins to thicken. 



Slowly stir in the cheeses (I mixed them up in a glad Pyrex first and melt each pour before adding more. Add cream cheese slowly. If using, add bacon. 



Combine the sauce and pasta in a baking dish. Sprinkle bread crumbs. Broil 3-5 minutes to brown the bread crumbs. 


(Yes I love green!)

Uhhhh.  Yum!



It's funny. I grew up with my mom using non stick cookware (and all calphalon). So naturally, for my wedding I registered for it. My mother in law is a stainless steel fan. So I registered for this stainless steel piece and I am so glad I did. It is great for things I need to use a metal wisk for and it's been used a lot. I need to add some more stainless steel pieces!

Hope you enjoy this :) Matt is eating a bowl as I type. It's so good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment