Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Non-Riding Evening at the Barn

Back when I used to show, I would ride everyday but Sunday. Sometimes, I even had two a days! All of this and working was a lot to handle.

Now that I haven't shown since June 2011 (marriage caused some sacrifices) I have days where I go out to the barn and I don't ride. I go, hang out with Shirley, and don't feel guilty. Not riding every time is a good thing. It allows the horse to learn how to relax with you, and not associate you with having to work.

However, I can still make my evening productive.

One way I work with Shirley is by lunging her every few days. What is lunging? It is a way to exercise your horse from the ground. It also works voice commands, balance, and it allows you to watch the horse's natural movement to detect any injury or soreness. It is done in a "lunge ring", which is a fenced in 50-60 inch in diameter circular arena. You can do it with what it is called "a lunge line", which is a 30 inch rope with a buckle on the end, or you can do "free lunge", which is what I prefer...no line.



Shirley is an old pro :) The way her neck is out and her head is slightly down means she is using her neck muscles and she wants to strech and relax.

I also enjoy going to the barn and giving Shirley a good grooming, giving her treats, and just hanging out at the barn with the other riders.

Oh, and taking photos of my favorite barn dog, Jessie, a jack russell. Isn't she precious!



I love spending time at the barn, and relaxing after a hard day at work!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful week so far :)

No comments:

Post a Comment