Saturday, February 23, 2013

Habitat for Humanity

This morning, I had the pleasure of volunteering with Habitat for Humanity. I signed up online, joined a 7:30-12 shift (which actually ended up being until 11:30) and showed up ready to go!

I think it's important to give back to the community. As little or as much as you can do. I cannot wait to go back on the 16th and work with this group again! I also needed to get out and meet more people in our city. Even though I have been here almost a year, sometimes I still feel like I don't know anyone.

One of the new reforms with the organization is trying to buy foreclosed homes and fixing them up, instead of building. They are doing this to prevent the new homeowners from being singled out, and also to increase awareness, and to use what is existing.

As a new homeowner, I am always welcome to any kind of renovation/work advice I can get.

I had a great time. I wasn't sure what I was going to be doing, but I was willing to jump in and do whatever is needed (I tend to be like this in other situations of life as well). I got asked if I would help installing baseboards, and I immediately said yes!

Baseboards are not an easy task...lots of measuring, cutting (repeat over and over) then my favorite part-STAPLE GUN! :)



Imagine H's face when I told him I wanted a staple gun :)




Here is a before photo





Here is an after!





Want to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity? It's so easy. They always need volunteers, and they are more then willing to teach you anything. I am looking forward to helping out again!
Sign up for a project in your area at http://www.habitat.org/



This post is not sponsored or endorsed by Habitat for Humanity in anyway. All thoughts, and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment