Saturday, April 20, 2013

Corn Oil...for horses?!

I have realized my blog has turned into pretty much a fashion and home blog, and I need to post more horse related topics. Given that horses have been part of my life for so long, it should be included.

So corn oil is a well kept secret for helping a horse achieve a shiny coat. Why? Because of the essential fatty acids it has. It contains omega 6 fatty acids.

The way I give it to Shirley is by mixing it in with her feed. I do around 1/8 of a cup (eyeball) and shake the feed bucket by the handle to mix it in.

I haven't really noticed a difference in the shine (yet) but I have in the texture. Her coat is softer, and I think once her summer coat starts to come in I will be able to tell more of a difference.

To add fat or extra calories, flax seed or fish oil is a great choice. But for a shiny coat corn oil is a natural way to achieve this!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. I've been riding, volunteering with Habitat and worked for a few hours from home.

Love reading your comments :)



No comments:

Post a Comment