Thursday, May 2, 2013

Banana Split Bread

So the other night I was having a phone conversation with my mother in law who says she made something called 'Banana Split Bread'.


.......excuse me whaaaaaat?!

She told me its your basic chocolate chip banana bread recipe but add maraschino cherries and crushed pineapple. Easy enough. When H and I got married we were given binders of recipes from family and friends. I dug up the chocolate chip banana bread recipe, realized I had everything I needed but the cherries, and made it last night after work. Let me tell you, it is so good and not overly sweet. The recipe made a loaf pan and then a half (I used a small square glass Pyrex for that) which I will be giving away to the wonderful man who owns the barn I keep Shirley at.

Here is the recipe I followed but like I said any chocolate chip banana bread recipe with added cherries and pineapples work fine (bake as directed).

I wish I could give the source proper credit but really it was given to me by a family member.

Banana Split Bread

Ingredients:

2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 small or 2 large bananas mashed
Pinch of cinnamon
1 teaspoon milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
2 large eggs

For the banana split part:

1 cup sliced maraschino cherries, drained (I also rinsed them)
1 can crushed pineapple drained
1/2 cup walnuts (I left these out my H doesn't like nuts).


Directions:

Grease a 9x5 loaf pan. Preheat oven to 325

Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl mix the bananas, milk and cinnamon. Best sugar and butter in another bowl.

Scramble eggs one at a time and then add to the sugar egg mix, mixing well after each egg. Stir the banana mixture in.

Mix in dry mix in with everything else slowly until combined (I used my stand mixer for this on low speed).

Fold in the cherries, chocolate chips, walnuts and pineapple. I used my stand mixer for this as well on low speed. Pour into the pan and bake for 60-70 minutes.

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment