Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Meet Shirley!

I thought I would take a blog post to introduce my sweet girl Shirley Temple!

Her show name is Kiss and Tell, and her barn name is Shirley Temple, or Shirley. Kiss and Tell is the name of a Shirley Temple mini movie.

So the way she came into my life is an interesting one. I knew her previous owner very well, as we went to horse camp together when we were young, and we showed together. One show, she shows up with Shirley. I had my old horse Roscoe at the time (more to come on that), but I saw Shirley and immediately fell in love. I remember thinking to myself that one day she would be mine.

About a year later, I made the decision it was time for me and Roscoe to part. He has not the horse for me. I had owned him for about 3 years at ths point, and I knew I wasn't the right person for him. I put an ad up for Roscoe, knowing that I wanted to find the perfect home for him, not just A home. I received so many phone calls from people on him, and no one seemed to be perfect.

I later heard from a reliable source that Shirley's owner was looking for a new horse. I called her up, arranged a time to see Roscoe and Shirly together, and we ended up agreeing on a trade. I got my Shirley! I knew that one day she would be mine, and I was right. Roscoe went to my friend, and the best part was he was nearby and I could see him whenever I wanted. He had the greatest home until he past away from colic in January 2011.

This was almost 5 years ago. Shirley will always be mine, no matter what.

Shirley and I did the show circuit for 3 years, winning many year end division titles, and many local titles. Now we just enjoy riding and enjoying each other's company :) I even had my bridal portraits taken with her.

Some facts about Shirley:

-She loves black licorice, candy canes, mike and ikes and spicy peanuts
-She is afraid of cows
-Her color is called grulla, and it's very rare. It's a recessive gene.
-She is 3/4 quarter horse and 1/4 arabian
-She is allergic to wool
-Her best friend is my best friend's horse named Willow






No comments:

Post a Comment